Everyone iPhone the iPhone 6S, released in 2015, is included Apple’s wallet app built right into its operating system – although the app first launched as “Passbook” a few years earlier, in June 2012 with the launch of iOS 6, but evolved into Wallet about three years later – and it’s grown into a really robust one Tool.
When it first launched (as the Apple Passbook), the app was pretty limited. It essentially only stored things like boarding passes, gift cards, and coupons; And while you can still do all of those things with the Wallet app today, you can do a lot more as well
Today, the Wallet app lets you store credit and debit cards, public transit cards, and various types of ID such as ID cards. B. Your student ID or driver’s license (although this depends on what school you go to and what state you are from). You can also store digital copies of your keys for your home (if you have a smart lock that works with HomeKit) or your car (if it’s compatible with Apple CarKey). You can even use it to store your COVID-19 vaccination record.
The beauty of Apple Wallet lies in its simplicity. You can upload most of the previously mentioned stuff that would normally fit in your wallet and have instant access to it from your iPhone.
Here’s how to quickly access the Wallet app and Apple Pay
To quickly access the wallet app on your iPhone, all you have to do is double-click.
• If you have an iPhone with a home button, quickly double-click that home button.
• If you have an iPhone that uses Face ID, quickly double-click the side button (to lock or power on your iPhone).
After double-clicking, the wallet opens immediately and you can use a linked credit or debit card. If you’re worried about someone grabbing your iPhone and making purchases – don’t. All purchases through Apple require a biometric authentication process via Touch ID or Face ID, depending on the iPhone model.
How to add a credit or debit card to the Wallet app
Adding a credit or debit card to the Wallet app is pretty easy. All you have to do is:
- Open the Wallet app.
- Select the “+” button in the top left corner.
- Select the option for “Debit or Credit Card”.
- Scan your card’s information or enter it manually.
Note: Not every debit and credit card works with Apple Pay, but most card companies (including Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express) and major banks (including Bank of America, Capital One, Chase, Citi, and Wells Fargo) do.
For a list of banks that support Apple Pay, see here.
How to add your driver’s license to the Wallet app
Apple only recently introduced the ability to add your driver’s license to the Wallet app – but it still is Yes, really limited. As of March 2022, Arizona was the only state to allow its residents to take advantage of the opportunity — but it promises more states are on the way. Apple says there are 11 other states that will be rolling out the feature “soon,” including Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Oklahoma, Utah, Colorado, Hawaii, Mississippi, Ohio, and the Territory of Puerto Rico.
Once your state allows it, you can add your driver’s license as follows:
- Open the Wallet app.
- Select the “+” button in the upper left corner.
- Select the option for “Driver’s License or State ID.”
- Scan the front and back of your driver’s license and take a selfie photo.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to submit the information to your state for approval.
How to add a boarding pass or ticket to the Wallet app – and then use it.
Apple also makes adding a boarding pass (for a train, plane, bus, or other form of transportation) or a ticket (say, to a concert or sporting event) pretty easy:
- Open the confirmation email or app you used to purchase the boarding pass or ticket.
- Tap the icon that says Add to Apple Wallet.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Once added you want to be able to access it so you can scan it or show it to event/transport staff to gain entry.
- Double-tap the Home button (for iPhones with Touch ID) or the side button (for iPhones with Face ID) to open the Wallet app.
- Tap your boarding pass or ticket to scan.
Once you’re done with the boarding pass or ticket (e.g. after your trip or event), you’ll want to delete it from your wallet. To do this: Open the Wallet app > Tap on the pass you want to remove > Select the “More” button (with the three dots) > Confirm “Remove pass”.
How to add your COVID-19 vaccination cards
In October 2021, Apple introduced the ability to add your COVID-19 vaccination card to your iPhone’s Wallet app with iOS 15.1. Admittedly, adding them can be a little tricky as everyone’s type of vaccination and how they receive confirmation is slightly different. Here are three scenarios:
If you have a QR code:
- Open the camera app on your iPhone.
- Make sure you use the rear camera.
- Make sure the QR code is focused in your iPhone’s viewfinder.
- Click the Health app notification that appears when the camera recognizes the QR code.
- Select “Add to Wallet & Health”.
- Choose Done.
If you have a downloadable link of your vaccination card:
- Click on the download link.
- When the notification appears, select “Add to Wallet & Health”.
- Choose Done.
If you have already added your COVID-19 vaccination record to the Health app:
- Open the Health app.
- Select the Summary tab (below).
- Under Immunization Record, tap Add to Wallet.
Once your COVID-19 vaccination card has been added to the Wallet app, you can access it at any time. However, if you want to get all the details of your card — aside from your name, vaccine type, and the dates you were vaccinated — you’ll need to authenticate yourself by using Face ID, Touch ID, or entering your password.
How to add your health or auto insurance card to the Wallet app
Your iPhone’s wallet app may also contain your card insurance or health insurance cards. This is fairly simple, but requires you to first download your auto or health insurance provider’s app and set up your account through it.
(Note: Most insurance providers have apps that support Apple Wallet, but not everyone.)
- Download your insurance provider’s app, create your account and log in.
- In the app, find the “Digital Map” section. (It might be a little different as each insurance provider’s app will be a little different).
- Select “Add to Apple Wallet”.
- Select “Add” when prompted.
How to add a digital key for your home to the Wallet app
If you have a smart lock that supports HomeKit, you can add a digital key to your wallet app so all you have to do is hold your iPhone next to the smart lock and it will unlock your door when it communicates via NFC. (You can set it up to require either Touch ID or Face ID as a secondary form of authentication, in addition to your nearby iPhone, to unlock your door.) You can then set up different animations for your door to lock shortly after you arrive or after you leave, but this is done in Apple’s Home app.
To do this, you must first purchase and install a smart lock that supports HomeKit. There are quite a few of these, but the fourth generation August Smart Lock or the Yale Assure Lock SL are two of the most popular. From there:
- After setting up your smart lock (follow the installation instructions), add it to your iPhone’s Home app.
- Choose an unlocking option (if you want a second form or authentication to unlock your door in addition to your iPhone).
- Choose your different automations (how soon after you leave or arrive your smart lock will lock your door again.)
This content is created and maintained by a third party and imported to this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may find more information about this and similar content on piano.io