PS Remote Play lets you play PlayStation games on your PC using a PS5 controller. Every day more PC games and gaming platforms support the DualSense controller. And the PS5 controller also works on iPhones, iPads and Android devices.
This tutorial covers using a PS5 controller on your Mac or PC. Turn off the PS5 controller before connecting a controller to your computer. Hold down the PlayStation (PS) button until the indicator light or status light of the controller goes out. You can then connect the controller to your computer with a USB cable or wirelessly.
USB cable connection
For a wired USB connection, use the Type-A to Type-C cable included in the PS5 box. If you cannot find the included cable, use a third-party USB cable that supports power transfer and data syncing. Windows or macOS will not recognize your PS5 DualSense controller when using a charge-only cable.
All you have to do to make it work is plug the cable’s USB-A connector into your PC and plug the USB-C connector into the DualSense controller’s USB-C port.
Note: Use a USB-C to USB-C cable for PCs and MacBooks without a USB Type-A port. Connect one end of the cable to your Mac or PC and the other end to the controller.
Connect the PS5 DualSense Controller wirelessly
Remember to turn off your controller or unplug it from other devices before pairing it with your computer. Hold down the PS button on the controller until the indicator light goes out. This will disconnect the controller from other Bluetooth devices and make it available to pair with a new device.
Connect a PS5 controller to a Windows PC
Follow the steps below to pair a PS5 DualSense controller with a Windows 10 or Windows 11 computer.
- On Windows 11, open your PCs settings App (press Windows key + I). Choose Bluetooth & Devices in the sidebar, then select add device On the right side.
On Windows 10, go to settings > Devices > Bluetooth and other devices and select Add Bluetooth or other devices.
- Choose Bluetooth.
- The next step is to put your controller into pairing mode. Hold down the Playstation button and create button for about 5 seconds. Release both buttons when the controller indicator light flashes twice.
- Select on your PC wireless controller.
- Wait for your PC to connect to the controller. Choose Finished to close the window when the message “Your device is ready” appears.
Your controller should show up as “Connected” in the Bluetooth settings menu. Now you can use the controller in Steam games and other compatible programs.
Connect a PS5 controller to a Mac
- Go to system settings > Bluetooth and make sure Bluetooth is turned on. Choose Turn on Bluetooth button to turn on your Mac’s Bluetooth.
- Hold down the PS button and create button on your PS5 controller until the indicator light blinks twice intermittently. This will put the controller into pairing mode.
- Your Mac should see a “DualSense Wireless Controller” in the Bluetooth settings menu. Choose Connect button to continue.
Unlike Windows, macOS correctly recognizes and labels the PS5 controller as the “DualSense Wireless Controller”.
- Choose options to customize the functionality of some buttons on the DualSense controller.
By default, pressing the Home button (PS) on the controller opens your Mac’s Launchpad.
- You can configure macOS to open the floating app switcher when you long-press your controller’s Home (PS) button. To do this, open the “Home Long Press” dropdown menu and select LaunchPad.
The Share or Create button is also customizable. You can start recording your screen or capture “highlights” during gameplay by double-pressing or long-pressing the share button. Recording a highlight saves the last 15 seconds of the game.
- Expand and select the Share Double Press or Share Long Press menu Start/stop recording or Capture highlight.
- Choose recording screen in the confirmation prompt.
Note: Capturing highlights with the DualSense controller may decrease game speed and performance.
- Choose Finished to save the adjustments.
Set up and use the PS5 controller on your computer
Your computer and compatible apps should immediately recognize a wired or wireless PS5 DualSense controller. Depending on the app or PC games you play, you may need to enable app-specific settings.
For example, if you enable “PlayStation Configuration Support” in Steam, you can use all functions of the DualSense controller.
- Connect the controller to your computer and open Steam settings.
- Go to the “Controllers” tab in the left sidebar and select General controller settings.
- Make sure your PlayStation 5 controller appears in the Detected Controller section. Choose PlayStation configuration support Check box and close the controller settings window.
You should select those too Generic gamepad configuration support check box. This could help your PS5 controller work properly if Steam’s PlayStation Configuration Support isn’t working.
In Remote Play, you can see your controller’s battery level in the lower-right corner of the screen.
If your PS5 controller isn’t working in a specific game, contact the game developer for assistance.
PS5 Controller Won’t Connect or Work on PC or Mac? Try these fixes
Your computer cannot recognize a PS5 controller for many reasons. The following troubleshooting recommendations should resolve the problem(s).
1. Try a different port or cable
If you’re connecting your controller with a cable, make sure it’s the original cable that came in the PS5 box. If you use a counterfeit or counterfeit cable, your computer may not recognize the DualSense controller. Use an authentic cable that supports both data sync and power transmission.
USB port issues can also prevent PS5 controllers from connecting to your computer. Try a different port on your computer if the controller does not work on a particular port. We also recommend plugging the controller directly into your computer. If using a USB adapter, make sure the accessory supports data synchronization and power transfer.
2. Update the controller
Updating your controller to the latest firmware can fix connectivity and performance issues.
If you are using a Windows PC, update the PS5 controller with the Firmware updater for DualSense wireless controllers apartment Install the app on your computer and connect the controller with a cable.
The app will automatically download and install any firmware update available for your controller. Make sure your computer has an internet connection.
You can also update your controller through the PS5 console. Open the settings menu of your PS5, go to Accesories > controllersand choose Wireless Controller Device Software.
3. Restart your computer
Restart your computer if your controller firmware is up to date but won’t connect or work when playing compatible games.
4. Reset the controller to factory settings
If the problem persists, factory reset your PS5 DualSense controller settings. Disconnect or unplug the controller from your console or other devices before performing the factory reset. You should also shut down your console.
Locate a small circular hole on the back of the controller. In the hole is the reset button of the DualSense controller. Insert a needle or paper clip into the hole and press the reset button for 3-5 seconds.
Turn on the controller, connect it to your computer and see if it works without any problems now.
Enjoy console-like gaming on your computer
Connecting a PS5 DualSense controller to a Windows or Mac computer is easy. Update your computer’s operating system if you continue to have problems using the controller. Visit a PlayStation service repair center if your DualSense controller is not connecting or working with its console or computer.