BOSTON–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Aug. July 2022–
Inflation has squeezed household budgets and consumer sentiment is softening, but demand for mobile computing holds up as user behavior favors hybrid work and tablet shipments continue to exceed pre-pandemic levels, according to a new report from Strategy Analytics. Tablet demand in Q2 2022 followed this pattern of higher shipments for premium and detachable tablets, favoring Apple, Windows OEMs, and to some extent Samsung — pushing Android market share down to 49%. Increasing macroeconomic pressures, lower consumer sentiment, the evolving COVID threat and an ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict could make the second half of the year much more difficult.
This press release is multimedia. View the full press release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220729005225/en/
Android fell below majority tablet market share* All numbers are rounded (Source: Strategy Analytics, Inc.)
The full report of Strategy Analytics’ Connected Computing Devices (CCD) service, Preliminary worldwide tablet shipments and market share: Q2 2022 results can be found here: https://www.strategyanalytics.com/access-services/devices/tablets-and-pcs/connected-computing-devices/market-data/report-detail/preliminary-global-tablet-shipments-and – Market Share-Q2-2022-Results-290722
Eric Smith, Director – Connected Computing said, “These two drivers of inflation and hybrid work are creating a remarkable dynamic in which: 1) affluent consumers continue to spend on premium devices while average consumers are retiring to spend on lower tiers; and 2) Purchases favor detachable tablets to get work done rather than just for entertainment purposes. All of the top vendors now offer detachables that include implementations on five different operating systems. To thrive in this new environment, brands must continue to improve tablet hardware and software to increase user productivity.”
Chirag Upadhyay, Industry Analyst added, “Demand for Android tablets dragged market performance as all other operating systems outperformed the -15% market decline. Apple benefited from a more affluent customer base than Android, but supply issues prevented it from achieving even greater demand than it did in the quarter. Windows OEMs, led by Microsoft, also did well as commercial demand outpaced consumer demand and favored premium Windows devices. We should also highlight the growing strength of Huawei’s HarmonyOS — and the company’s reach into Russia, as other top vendors exited the market following the invasion of Ukraine — as a factor in the surge in Android demand. Perhaps Android’s fortunes will change with Prime Day in Q3 and year-end promotions in Q4.”
- Apple iPadOS (sell-in) shipments in the second quarter of 2022 fell -7% year-on-year to 14.8 million units, with global market share increasing 3.3 percentage points to 38% as the vendor outpaced the market
- Samsung led the Android market with a year-on-year decline of -13% in the second quarter of 2022 to 7.1 million units; Market share increased by 0.2 percentage points to 18% over the same period as the performance outperformed the overall market
- Lenovo returned to third place globally in the second quarter of 2022, although shipments fell by -25% year-on-year to 3.5 million units; Market share decreased by -1.3 percentage points to 9% over the same period as competition intensified in North America and EMEA
- Amazon trailed Lenovo with 3.4 million shipments, posting a -19% year-over-year decline and a -10% sequential decline typical of a quarter leading up to Prime Day; accordingly, the market share fell by -0.5 percentage points to 9%
- Huawei’s tablet shipments declined -34% year-on-year to 1.4 million units in the second quarter of 2022, marking the company’s best performance in over a year as sanctions and new competitors fundamentally changed its tablet strategy; The market share fell by -1.1 percentage points to 4% in the same period
Source: Strategy Analytics
#SA – Devices
About strategy analysis
Strategy Analytics, Inc. is a global leader in helping businesses throughout their planning lifecycle through a suite of customized market research solutions. Our multidisciplinary capabilities include: industry research advisory services, customer insights, user experience design and innovation expertise, mobile consumer on-device tracking, and business-to-business advisory capabilities. With expertise in: smart devices, connected cars, smart home, service providers, IoT, strategic components and media, Strategy Analytics can design a solution to meet your specific planning needs. For more information, visit www.strategyanalytics.com.
Learn more about strategy analytics
Connected Computer Devices: Click here
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220729005225/en/
CONTACT: Report contacts:
Eric Smith, +1 617 614 0752, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chirag Upadhyay, +44 1908 423 643, email@example.com
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA MASSACHUSETTS
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: HARDWARE RETAIL CONSUMER ELECTRONICS TECHNOLOGY SPECIALTY
SOURCE: Strategy Analytics
Copyright Business Wire 2022.
PUBLICATION: 7/29/2022 7:18 am / DISC: 7/29/2022 7:18 am
Copyright Business Wire 2022.